Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Pizza

So, I nearly forgot again, but here it is, a post on time!  Since we're lucky enough to have Fridays off, we just finished our first week of work.  It's quite amazing inside the POSCO R&D offices.  There's a cafeteria on campus that serves pretty darned good food for low prices.  Unfortunately, security is actually super-tight, and we're not allowed to bring laptops or cameras inside.  Hence, no pictures of the inside or the food :(

However, one night, we decided to order pizza, a bit of an American phenomenon.  To indulge in a little Western pleasure, we chose fairly ordinary toppings, mushroom on one and ham and corn on the other.

Mushroom on the left, ham and corn on the right.
I just wanted to appreciate this Italian-turned American-turned Korean treat.  Truly global!  

Speaking of global... So I tried to do laundry today.  The machines are all in Korean, and I didn't figure out that the cycle took 4 hours and 35 minutes to finish both a wash and dry (in the same machine!).  Luckily, a kind person was able to help me get it started, but only after I realized the laundry room would be closed when it finally finished.  Later that night, I went back down and encountered another kind person.  I started out with one of the few Korean phrases I knew, 죄송하지만 (jwe song ha ji man), which is something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to bother you, but..." and quickly realized she didn't speak English.  She spoke Korean and Mandarin, which would have been helpful had my other language been Korean or Mandarin instead of Cantonese.  With these four languages, however, she managed to get across that the laundry room opened tomorrow at 6:00am.  Hurrah for globalization!

No comments:

Post a Comment