Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Raspberries

One of my favorite things about living in California, and the Bay Area in particular, is the wonderful growing weather.  The soil in the yard may be rocky and dry, but the warm, dry summers and cool, wet winters with mild spring and fall nurture any seed that falls to the ground.  I think next week I'll post about the potatoes I dug from the ground and had for lunch today, but today, it's all about the raspberries.  


They grow in a wild tangle in our backyard, planted lovingly by my mum a few years back.  My dad's coworker gave us some stalks with roots, and in just 2 years, it was fully mature.  We cut it back down to little 6-inch stalks in late fall and every spring, without fail, it blossoms into a tumbling green cage with beautiful fruit, tempting your hand.  Each bright red berry is best plucked and eaten right there and then.  They burst on your tongue in soft, velvety sweetness, then the tart raspberry flavor and the last crunch of the seeds, teasing you to reach for another amidst the prickles. 

The rare few that weren't eaten right off the bush by me or the pup!
Oh, right, we ate these right after I got this picture :)

No comments:

Post a Comment