Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Potatoes

This week, I'd like to thank the humble potato.  A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about our mild growing climate and rocky soil.  I would like to introduce the amazing little tubers that sprout from this hard ground.  Now, I actually don't know where these potatoes come from, and neither does my mother, who does most of the gardening at home.  They've appeared to be smooth red/pink potatoes, rough brown russet potatoes, and some mysterious other type of potato that I can't quite figure out.  
What type are those two, the bulgy one in the center and the dinky one on the left?
The reason for this post is that they thrive on little care, and gave me lunch that day, unconditionally.  If more people, heck, if I gave more unconditionally, well, that'd be a good 1 more person being kinder to the world.  I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other than South Korea.  That's right!  Thanks to a lot of very kind people, from my research professor, to the Undergrad Director of our college, to the staff there to my very own incredible parents, I will be an intern in South Korea for the next two months.  If you'd like to follow my adventures (food and otherwise), please visit this tiny corner of the web.  But back to these potatoes.....
Bright skins, creamy insides...
They were good.  I washed them, boiled them and lightly fried them with some roasted garlic and a little butter, and enjoyed them.  They tasted of nourishing starch, garlic (of course!), the minerals of the soil, and the sweet California sun that went into them.  And for everything, including lunch, thank you.
Food!

No comments:

Post a Comment