Friday, September 30, 2011

Soup - Getting Better

Yes, it has mushrooms in it.  I made this bowl of soup after I got better and updated the post, because I thought it'd be more interesting than an empty bowl, which was the original photo at the bottom of this post.

So I am sick.  Not surprising, considering that my boyfriend was coughing and running a 100°F fever last week.  Yes, let me hold the hand of a boy who might have just coughed into said hand, then let us go to lunch.  Yes, let me study and do homework all week, run the robotics team and then work in the lab on the weekend.  Yes, let me go to bed late, then wake up early in the morning for my Biomechanics class.  Yup, I'm sick.  

Baking is suspended for the meanwhile, despite approximately four (!) things I had planned on making this weekend.  I only got the Irish Shortbread done, the rest I was missing ingredients.  Luckily for me, my boyfriend was able to take me to the Oriental Market this weekend, and I picked up some supplies for comfort food.  Besides from being rather healthier than almost every offering at the school food courts, this one doesn't even require leaving the building.  Bonus!  

This dish is very simple, requiring only a pot, a bowl and a pair of chopsticks, although I suppose you could omit the bowl if you felt up to eating straight out of the pot.  Which I have done, to cut down on dishes.  It requires 4 ingredients, one of which is water.  Done in 10 minutes and slurped down in 5, it's not much, but sometimes, that's enough.

Ingredients
2 cups water
2 ounces somen noodles (Japanese noodles, very fine.  Spaghetti works, too)
1 packet instant miso soup
1 large egg

Equipment
1 saucepan/3 quart pot/frying pan if you're desperate enough
1 bowl (optional)
1 pair chopsticks (or fork, if you can't handle chopsticks :P)

Directions

1. Boil water.

2. Plunk the noodles into water and cook for 3 minutes (or as directed).

3. Pour miso packet into boiling noodles.  Stir.

4. Crack egg and plop the entire raw egg (minus the shell) into the broth.

5. Pour into bowl, or serve in pot.  Wait in semi-coma for soup to cool and egg to cook partway.  Break the egg yolk and swirl with chopsticks, then devour hot.  Feel better!

Notes:

This is a very cheap, very quick meal.  If you'd prefer something a little more substantial, vegetables are a great addition, as well as substituting with a "real" miso or other broth.  While I personally do not eat meat aside from fish, bivalves, crustaceans and the occasional cephalopod, any meat or fish would also be a great addition.  Basically, put whatever you want in, and get whatever you want out.  This will serve as a post, since I am sick and should probably not bake anything to share....

More of these make life better.


No comments:

Post a Comment